Speed Up WordPress to get the best loading time is one of the most important steps. Now we will show you 10 very easy and traditional steps to speed up wordpress. Just need you have a very little experience with wordpress to do all of these steps. Maybe you just need to do 6/10 steps, it still good enough to get your wordpress site faster a lot. Now let ‘s get ready.
1. Choose the right wordpress hosting
The first and the most important step to take effect to all of other steps is wordpress hosting. It doesn’t make sense if we do all of optimization on a low quality hosting. But if you are in a good wordpress hosting, it ‘s already in a fast level before you optimize to speed up wordpress. That ‘s why you need to choose the right wordpress hosting, if needed we have to move to new hosting.
As always, we recommend you choose the first option of this list http://wp2x.com/top-10-wordpress-hosting-best-performance-security/. It will help you have the best speed, performance and support full caching on server what you don’t have to install any more extra server software.
2. Remove all of unnecessary wordpress plugin to speed up wordpress
Slow wordpress plugin can cause your site to slow down. We only install enough plugin for our usage and remove all of unnecessary plugin. The wordpress core is designed to wordpress fast and optimize but the plugins are not. Plugins are implemented by third party and WordPress can’t cover the optimization so that we have to take care it. If we have to install a wordpress plugin, let ‘s get the first priority for the simple plugin and serve enough our need.
3. Optimize wordpress .htaccess for browser cache
This is a long story but just take you 5 minutes to do. Let ‘s follow this post to finish this step http://wp2x.com/optimize-wordpress-browser-cache-htaccess/
4. Cut down the number of HTTP requests
By reducing the number of objects in your site’s pages, you can minimize the number of HTTP requests that are required to render a page, speeding up load times.
It doesn’t take you too much times to do this by these steps:
– Combine all of picture/image you can to one: by doing this you will have to use some feature of css about the sprite. But luckily, if you do the step (10), you don’t need to do this.
– Combine js/css: it ‘s good idea to use external plugin for this and just need to turn it on. Time by time, we always have a very good choice ready on wordpress plugin community. You can find one for you here: http://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/minify
Wait! If you think this step is too difficult then maybe you will see it ‘s easier in step (6) and the more extra help in step (10)
6. Speed up wordpress by Install and configure wordpress cache plugin
We are more than comfortable to suggest you one of these famous plugin as leading in wordpress caching world.
But keep in mind that you are allow to install only one of them in one wordpress site. Here you will see how to minify js/css/html too.
These tools essentially create a static version of your web site. For sites where content does not change frequently, then can save tons of PHP and MySQL processing. A cached page can be served 20-30X faster than a non-cached page.
For example, WP Super Cache will put this in your HTML so you know how fast things are happening:
<!-- Dynamic page generated in 0.566 seconds. -->
<!-- Cached page generated by WP-Super-Cache on 2014-02-18 16:54:08 -->
This tells you that the page was generated in 0.566 seconds — quite fast. But serving this page from a static file eliminates this half of second.
With any plugin, these tools do have their problems. If you have a highly dynamic site, you may find that comments are delayed or scheduled posts do not execute exactly when you want.
This is one of the trade-offs when using aggressive cache methods. You give up some of the real-time nature of WordPress for the performance of static HTML code.
Like database tuning, which WordPress performance plugin will work for you depends on your site.
In my experience, WP Super Cache causes fewer issues on complex sites while W3 Total Cache provides more optimization techniques.
7. Install and configure cache server Memcached/APC/eAccelerator and Opcode cache
This is a little bit advantage step of wordpress optimization. We will show you how to do this on a VPS or a dedicated server in another article. But for now, if you want your wordpress site become very fast, you can choose the share hosting what already support all of caching above. As we know, SiteGround WordPress Hosting support all of cache features we need.
8. Optimize Images Display Size
It ‘s pretty simple that we only display the image in the right size. If you want to scale the image then let ‘s scale it offline and upload it later. Or we can have functionality in wordpress theme what allow us create many thumbnail to get it re-size to the size we want. This way, we will save bandwidth of server and user don’t have to wait too long to just see a small image.
9. Optimize WordPress Database
Another hard task but we solve with a magic wordpress plugin. It will be more than best for this if you use one of these wordpress plugin to optimize wordpress database:
- WP-DBManager http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-dbmanager/
- WP-Optimize http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-optimize/
10. CDN (Content Delivery Network)
If you don’t know what is CDN you can take a look at this post What is CDN?
The idea of technique is pretty simple. We always have the static files in our website and they take the most time to load to visitors browser. But in the most case, the static files don’t change at all time to time. So that CDN was born to help us serve all of static files global by save them on many servers on the world to make sure it serve visitors fastest.
- For free CDN service, we recommend you use CloudFlare
- For paid CDN service, we recommend you MaxCDN what support very good for all of source code and more server on the world with trust speed and up time. Of course, the paid service ‘s always better. Just belong to you, your site need the very high trust load up-time or not. For a simple blog, we only need the free service.
As always, if you have any problem with the optimization to speed up wordpress, please don’t hesitate to contact us.